I've spent the afternoon in my sewing room and this is the result. The pattern is "Kosmetikketui" by Anne-Pia Godske Rasmussen, from issue 04/17 of the Norwegian quilting magazine MyQuilt. Fabric is from "My Hearts At Home" collection by Lynette Anderson Designs - and as a little extra, I've added some lace trimming along the edge of the binding.
Frosty the Postman - the cushion cover has been filled with a nice plump feather pad. It seemed appropriate to do a quick phot shoot next to the Christmas tree! This festive pattern is by Lynette Anderson Designs and has been made with a selection of fabrics from Lynette's Frosty Friends collection (this was bought as a kit from Lynette's stall at Festival of Quilts here in the UK back in the summer). Hand embroidered with variegated Valdani embroidery threads, and hand appliqued using applique paper, a glue stick and Apliquick tools (there is a great tutorial on YouTube of Lynette Anderson demonstrating this technique)...
...I've made the cushion cover a bit different to Lynette's instructions, as I prefer my covers to open with a zipper. Once the front and back have been machined together, I've added a single fold binding around the edges of the cushion, matching the seams of the binding with the seams of the border, and there is a zipper in the back.
Sorting through my project boxes trying to decide what to make in 2018 and this one is high on the list! Bought as a BOM from Puddleducks - Friends for Christmas by Lynette Anderson Designs - the first block arrived back in 2016. Unfortunately 2017 was just too busy with other projects, so fingers crossed this will get made in 2018. There are just too many quilts to make and just not enough time!
I've practically pressed my stitched-together-hexies to death!! A blast of steam has beaten them into submission and they've been hand appliqued into place! This has been such a joy to stitch. Once the borders were stitched on, this was quilted very simply around the main centre block. Once I've filled it with a plump feather pad I'll take some better photographs. Pattern is Frosty the Postman by Lynette Anderson Designs - this was bought as a kit from Lynette's stall at the Festival of Quilts here in the UK back in the summer...
...I made my cushion cover different to Lynette's instructions as I prefer a cushion with a zipper opening in the back. It's a bit tricky to see from the photo but once the front and back had been stitched together I've added a single fold binding to cover the raw edges. I've joined the binding strip where the border fabrics change so the binding doesn't look so obvious.
Well here's a progress update on "Frosty the Postman" - a selection of festive hexies have been prepared using the applique paper and glue stick method together with Apliquick rods, and are ready to be hand stitched together. Hexies are my nemesis and I've been putting off making these for ages! The pattern for this project is by Lynette Anderson Designs and uses fabrics from Lynette's Frosty Friends collection. Hoping this will be a finish for 2017, rather than a finish for 2018, so I'm spending the last day of my holidays curled up on the sofa with a plate of festive nibbles, a glass of something chilled and sparkling, and my handsewing kit.
What with all the excitement of the Christmas holidays, celebrating with special friends and family, I completely forgot to share a picture of the final 6 days of my gorgeous advent calendar. I really have been very spoilt this year, and hopefully I'll look and smell gorgeous well into the New Year with all these wonderful beauty products!
My absolute final homemade Christmas gift for this year has been made for my daughter's boyfriend's mum. She had a toiletry from me a few years ago, and I thought it was about time she had a new one! This toiletry bag is based on the pattern "Anna's Sminkepung" by the Norwegian designer AnnAKa. Fabrics are from the Floral Collection Antique Rose 2016 by Lecien. I've made bags with a few fabrics from this collection before, but this is the first time I'd used this gorgeous dusty aqua colourway. I've used a pink zipper for this bag, and trimmed the front of the bag along tbe binding with some vintage pink lace. No more Christmas gifts left to make for this year thank goodness!
Ok so here's the super easy project that I made yesterday evening. A collection of Santa Log Cabin bottle covers, complete with a jingly jangle bell 🎅 These were made with a selection of fabrics by Lynette Anderson Designs and quilted very simply with Aurifil 40wt thread. I used a small piece of linen for the Santa faces and added some teeny weeny buttons for eyes. There are several tutorials online for this, if you Google "Santa Log Cabin Ornament" - and yes, there's a fabulous selection of New Zealand wines, as a reminder of our recent fabulous holiday!
I forgot to share this earlier!! The next 9 days of goodies from the "beauty" advent calendar that Mr F treated me to. I still need to make a new toiletry bag to keep all these goodies in. Mr F will wonder who that glamourous woman is sitting in my sewing studio!
Well that's me done with handmade gifts for this year! This cosmetic bag is based on the pattern "Anna's Sminkepung" by the Norwegian designer AnnAKa. The fabric has been in my stash for simply ages, and seemed perfect for this project. Machine quilted with Aurifil 40wt thread, and embellished with some vintage lace trimming. I hope the recipient likes it!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.