Little House Block Book - Revamped
I'd originally made this block keeper a couple of years ago (the pattern is Little House Block Book by Lynette Anderson Designs) but unfortunately, due to frequent use, it was beginning to show signs of wear. I really didn't want to get rid of it, especially as there was so much hard work invested in piecing those tiny 3" Ohio Star blocks, not to mention the hand applique! So after a lot of deliberation, I set about giving it a much needed revamp...
...I carefully unpicked all of the seams and gave both the outer and the lining a good press. The original pattern doesn't suggest any form of quilting, however I decided that this would be a good idea to give ait a bit more structure and prevent the cardboard inserts from rubbing on the fabric. The wadding I've used is a fusible felted polyester wadding, Pellon H630. The outer part of th e block keeperwas then machine quilted very simply, using threads to match the colours of the fabrics. The lining was also quilted, again with a layer of Pellon H630. However I changed the construction slightly so the 2 cardboard inserts could be put in from the middle of the block keeper rather than from one end - it was one of those "Eureka moments" and I used the same technique that I use for making my journal covers. I also used half inch seams this time, so the worn edges are neatly tucked inside! My original block keeper was made with wadding pages - I was too desperate to get it completed but found they really were a bit too floppy. So this time around, I used some white felt and these were machine stitched in place once the block keeper had been reassembled and turned the right way through. I used a longer stitch length for stitching the felt pages and my Bernina stitched through all of those layers with no problems at all...
...another issue with the original block keeper was that it didn't always keep closed and due to the floppy wadding pages the blocks being stored inside would end up in a mess on the floor. So another little design tweak and I added some fabric ties to keep it closed. The original handles were still ok so I was able to re-use them, inserting them between the layers when it was reconstructed. Before it was turned the right way through, as there are lots of layers, I graded the seams and folded the corners as if it was a facing, securing it with a few hand stitches, so the corners are neat and square. Now I have a much more usable block keeper that should hopefully last me a bit longer!
Leave a Reply.
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.