I've got a small table top ironing board in my sewing studio and it was in desperate need of a new cover, so using one of these gorgeous Wash Day fabrics (by Henry Glass for Makower UK) I've made a new one. Using the old cover as a template, here's the result! I made new padding with cotton batting and Insulbrite as the old one had definitely seen better days, and I also added a layer of wadding underneath the actual cover, so it was a bit more sturdy when I stitched the casing on. My poor old arthritic fingers really didn't like threading the elastic through the casing so I won't make another one in a hurry!...
...corded elastic, rather than flat elastic, was used for this project, and I made sure it really was nice and tight before stitching the elastic closed. The layers of wadding and insulbright were also stitched together before adding the cover so the layers don't slip around when it's being used. This particular ironing board has a hole on the back for hanging on a hook, ao it doesn't have to be out all the time, it can be tidied away...
and here's my posh new ironing board cover - all ready to be used in my sewing studio. I tend to use my wool pressing mat for most pressing tasks, but this small board will still be very useful. And it's certainly brightened up my ironing station/cutting table!
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.