I recently shared pictures of my VERY long list of kits that I'd been collecting and my latest project was one of the kits from my Norwegian list. Ths pattern is Helårspynt, ny the Norwegian designer AnnAKa, and was purchased from Lappedilla back in 2011. The instructions were quite easy to follow even though they're written in Norwegian and are well illustrated with very clear line drawings. The main pieces for the runner were pieced together, layered with Pellon H630 wadding and backing fabric, then machine quilted very simply...
...for the machine quilting, I chose threads to match the colours of the fabrics, using a mix of 50wt and 40wt threads by both Aurifil and Mettler. The next step was the hand embroidery - once the stitchery design was traced onto fabric, I used a variegated Valdani perle thread (shade P1, which was purchased from Cross Patch in Wales, here in the UK) for the very simple hand embroidery stitches...
...the "flowers" are made with layers of fabric appliqued onto the quilted background. The flowers have been secured using a very fine needle (my favourite is a Clover Black Gold needle) and a very fine thread (I've used a 60wt polyester thread in a selection of colours). As you can see in this close-up of the flowers, a very fine needle + a very thread = invisible stitches! The stems have been machine appliqued to the quilted background using a 50wt Aurifil thread in a matching colour...
...and here's the completed tablerunner, ready to use on my dining table. The kit also included enough fabrics for 2 matching cushions, however I decided to use the fabrics for a smaller version for my coffee table. I just need to complete the binding, and I'll share a picture of that one tomorrow.
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.