Do you remember a few weeks ago I made a tote bag using some brown batiks from my stash, and an AnnAKa pattern called "På Quiltelaup"? Well I had some leftover fabric from that project, and decided to make a shoulder bag, again using an AnnAKa pattern, "Gladveska". I didn't have any pellon wadding left for this project, so I used a double layer of thin cotton wadding instead. It is quilted in a zig-zag design, using a variegated brown King Tut quilted thread...
...rather than stick faithfully to the pattern, I used a variation of the Perfect Quilted Totes pattern by Elizabeth Hartman for the lining and pockets, and was really pleased with how this turned out. There are two slip pockets in the lining, and a pocket with a zipper and a key holder too. And finished off with one of my "quiltystuff" labels? And the upper edge of the bag neatened with binding? And a magnetic button fastener sewn onto the flap? Of course!...
...this bag really does have everything, as you can see from this picture of the inside of the bag, it has a slip pocket, neatly bound with a cream batik and a zipper pocket and a key holder. This side of the lining has a slip pocket, lined and trimmed with one of the batiks and finished with one of my labels. It's the little finishing touches that make this bag look so smart...
...here is the finished bag - the strap is made out of strips of fabric, and as I didn't quite have enough, I made one of them "scappy", which seems to work well. It's surprising what you can make with left-overs. Now I need to sort through my box of batiks and maybe make some more of these shoulder bags.
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.