Before I started to make the lovely George and the Donkey mystery BOM, I always used to say that hexies were my nemesis. But after making ALL of those tiny 3/8" hexies for the inner borders of the quilt, I'm beginning to change my mind! Using pre-cut paper pieces really are SO easy to use, and once they're stiched together, they do look very pretty. I used a spool of 60wt Bottomline thread in a mid grey colour to stitch these hexies, along with a fine milliners needle...
...once they were stiched, they almost looked too preety to use! I decided to make ALL of the outer border blocks - that's 44 hexie flowers - which is 308 half inch hexies - I must be mad! Once they were stoiched in place, again using the same 60wt Bottomline thread, the background fabric was carefully cut away using a pair of Karen Kay Buckley applique scissors (the ines with red handles and curved blades) and the paper pieces were wriggled out. Some came out easier than others, so a quick press with a warm iron on my wool pressing mat and they were finished!
20/5/2023 09:45:04 pm
Fabulous work as usual, Nicola!
30/5/2023 04:19:17 pm
Hi Betty - thank you so much - and how lovely to hear from you!
Leave a Reply.
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.