Block 4 - Field of Horses - the next installment of the mystery quilt George and the Donkey by Lynette Anderson Designs - arrived in the post from Poppy Patch at the beginning of January, and when it arrived I still hadn't finished block 1. Anyway, I'm slowly catching up, as I've managed to keep focussed on stitching the blocks for this pretty quilt. There are lots of hexagons required for this part too, which as you know they really are my nemsis, so this time I decided to stitch them first, before I started the embroidery part. Incase you were wondering, this is what 308 cute little half-inch heagons look like when they're joined together to make a total of 44 hexagon flowers. Don't worry, they're not ALL needed for this block - this block only required ten hexie flowers, with 7 hexagons in each flower - so that's only 70 little 1/2" hexies! In keeping with the hexies from the previous border, I've used the same red fabric for the centre of the flower and each flower is made with a differnt fabric for the petals...
...I delved into my stash of Lynette Fabrics to find an assortment of green prints for the hills. I'm determined to use as many scraps as I can, and hoping to use a differnt green print for each hill! The hand embroidery is all stitched using an assortment of variegated Valdani stranded embrpoidery threads...
...this block is tricky to photograph as it's long and narrow - one end has a mare tending to her foal, while a handsome stallion is at the other end, reaching up for one of those delicious looking red apples...
...this block will be put in a safe place along with the 4 Honey Patch cornerstone blocks and the hexagon flower border, ready to be assembled once parts 5, 6 and 7 have been stitched.
Leave a Reply.
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.