Here's the first block "Cookies" for my first proper quilting project for 2017 - this pattern is Christmas Fun by Lynette Anderson Designs. I bought this online at the end of December from Patchwork Chicks, after I'd seen a version of this that my friend Denise had made. I've used a selection of festive fabrics from an assortment of Lynette's collections for this project. I started by fusing weaveline (a soft fusible lightweight interfacing) to the back of the background fabric then traced the stitchery design with the use of a light box and a Micron Pigma pen and a light box. The applique design was stitched into place with Aurifil 80wt thread (I used a neutral colour for this, Dove Grey) and used a few spots of Roxanne's basting glue to hold it in place so I didn't need to use pesky pins! The stitchery was all done by hand, using DMC threads and very simple stitches - backstitch, cross stitch, satin stitch and colonial knots...
...3" Ohio starts were machine pieced together using Aurifil 50wt thread, again in a neutral colour (I used a mid grey for this) and then pieced the block together. My new favourite needles are Superior Titanium Microtex size 60 needles that I bought from Barnyarns - they are really sharp, and so far they are lasting much longer than the Mircotex needles that I usually use for machine piecing. The hand painted wooden button will be stitched into place once the quilt has been completed, I've just laid it on here so you can see what it will look like. This is going to be a super quilt when it's finished - now onto the next block!
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.