Once the front of the cushion had been layered with some cotton wadding and backing fabric, it was machine quilted very simply with Aurifil 40wt thread. After being trimmed, I made a back for the cushion, with a zipper inserted. The front and back were then laid together and stitched all around the edges. A double fold binding was sewn on to cover the raw edges, just the same way as binding a quilt, including with mitred corners. One of my labels was added to the back, before the folded edge of the binding was hand stitched to the back of the cushion...
...and here's the completed cushion! This pattern is "The Waverley Bag" by the Australian designer Leanne Beasley, that was bought several years ago. I've never actually made a bag with this pattern, but I have made several cushions. The small patchwork blocks make this simple design look very effective, and had been hand embroidered and hand appliqued. All the fabrics were left over from a quilt I'd made last year, and they are from the Blueberry Crumb Cake collection by Blackbird Designs for Moda. This was made for a very dear colleague as a leaving gift, and she was really pleased with it.
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.