Oh and I failed to mention on yesterday's blog post that my daughter wanted the bunting to be reversible - so that meant 52 letters had to be traced, cut, fused and stitched and to 52 bunting flags! Once all the letters had been raw-edge appliqued into place with an Aurifil 50wt navy blue thread (I chose that colour to match the fabric letters) 2 flags were pinned right sides together, machine stitched a quarter inch from the raw edge with an Aurifil 50wt thread (I changed colour, and used a pale blue for this), then the side edges were trimmed using a rotary cutter with a pinking blade to prevent fraying. This was much easier than stitching a pair of flags wrong sides together and then turning then them right side out...
…finally I attached the bunting flags to pre-made blue bias binding. I used a fabric glue rather than pins as I thought that was a bit safer! I used the same pale blue thread to attach the binding. This cursive font was just so time consuming, but the finished effect is great. ...
…and it's finished - it's as easy as ABC!! My daughter's class room will look very pretty once this has been hung up. Apart from the pink floral fabric that was in my stash, the other fabrics and the ready-made binding were bought a couple of weeks ago from Sew and So's in Bungay, especially for this project.
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.