I decided to go with a scrappy binding for this project. This quilt had been made with fabrics from Lynette's "Time With Friends" collection. Strips of fabric left over from the quilt were cut 1.5" wide ready for single fold binding. Rather than joining the strips with a diagonal seam, these were joined end-to-end and then machined to the front of the quilt. There's something rather lovely about a scrappy binding! I used a mid-grey Aurifil 40wt thread for attaching the binding - firstly it was machine stitched to the front of the quilt with a 3/8" from the raw edge, and the corners were mitred. The free edge was pressed over and then slip stitched by hand to the back of the quilt...
...drum roll pleeeease - here's the completed quilt "A Dog's Life" (designed by Lynette Anderson Designs). This has been beautifully custom quilted by the amazing Janette at J-Quilts. I made the quilt top a few weeks ago, and it was machine pieced, hand embroidered and hand appliqued using the applique paper and glue stick method. I finally collected this from the longarm quilter a couple of days ago. I finished the binding last night, and just did a quick photo shoot in the garden when I got home from work. This was initially bought last year as a BOM from Cross Patch in Wales, you really must have a look at Julia's website, as she stocks a large range of Lynettes's patterns.
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.