Drum roll please - my Bernina 570QE is wearing her posh new coat! The pattern for this sewing machine cover is designed by ByAnnie and comes with a voucher for the add-on video tutorial (which is absolutely brilliant). The pattern, mesh fabric, fold-over elastic and zippers were all purchased from Sew Hot - they have a great selection of ByAnnie products which made making tnhis so mjuch easier as I was able to order everything form one place! These super Bernina fabrics were purchased from Quilt Direct. The feature print had been on my cutting table for absolutely AGES and goodness only knows what I'd originally planned for it when I bought it...
...this sewing machine cover has 4 pockets for storing all manner of bits and pieces. There is a large zippered pocket on the front, which can store the manual and the pocket on the back is idea lfor storing the extension table. The pattern has instructions for having the back pocket opening on the top or the side, depending on the size of the extension table...
...a mesh pocket with elastic binding along the top edge is perfect for storing the foot pedal and finally there's a smart zippered pocket on the other side of the cover. I've quilted the cover very simply, i n a cross hatch design dfor the front and back and in straight rows for the sides...
...the cover has 2 flaps on the top, which close with 2 hidden magnetic fastenings. Now I just need to make a new cover for my smaller Bernina as she's sulking in the corner of my sewing studio and I like my "ladies" to be well dressed!
Well this pattern (Under Cover from ByAnnie) has certainly challenged me with lots of firsts. First time sewing with mesh, first time binding a pocket with elastic and first time machine stitching the binding on - and it's around a curve! The binding strips were cut on the bias, I used a walking foot and altered the position of the needle and stitched it VERY slowly. I hardly dared to breathe when I was stitching around these curves, but I'm very happy with the results.
Saturday morning was spent shut away in my sewing studio away from the rest of the world, reading the pattern, watching the add-on videos and finally making a start on this project. The Bernina fabrics are by Benartex and are available from Quilt Direct here in the UK. I've used a plain black Aurifil 40wt thread in the top, with a variegated red King Tut quilting thread in the bobbin. I've marked a simple 2" cross hatch design using a Clover hera marker and once the grid is quilted, I'll quilt inbetween it by eye. The wadding was pieced together from leftovers, so denser quilting will give it a bit more "oomph" and structure...
...after a very productive day, all the fabric pieces were quilted, cut to size and ready for the the next stage of piecing them together. The fabric pocket and sides have been quilted in straight rows. This is the first "ByAnnie" project that I've made (pattern is Under Cover and was ourchased from Sew Hot - all the details are in an earlier post) and it certainly won't be the last! Although I did need to read the pattern a couple of times to make sure I understood everything, the add-on videos were brilliant, and it won't be long before my Bernina will be the best dressedBernina in Suffolk!!
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.