Well stitching Block 1 was a dream - the mini blocks pieced together easily, I'm really pleased with the stitchery and I've just got the applique left to do. I decided that as there a few hearts and mini-dresden plates and butterflies to applique onto this quilt, I'd make them up en-masse, and hope to do that very soon. Meanwhile, I was really enjoying the stitchery, so made a start on Block 2 and it all started off so well. I was stitching the 2 small bluebirds, and had problems with satin stitching one of the beaks. I just didn't seem right, and so I very carefully unpicked it. The second time it was even worse! So again, I tried to unpick it very carefully - except that I wasn't careful enough and ended up with a hole in my fabric!! Disaster!! I thought I could make it better, so I poked the frayed threads through to the back of the block, and fused another small piece of interfacing to the back of the stitchery, and redrew a larger beak and started stitching - but the threads frayed even more and it looked worse than ever! Even BIGGER disaster!! Honestly, I was getting a bit niggly. So there was nothing for it - the mini block itself had to be unpicked and I cut a new piece of fabric, traced the design on it and VERY CAREFULLY stitched those beaks. (I bet Leanne Beasley doesn't have these problems!) However, things still weren't going to plan. When I laid Block 1 and Block 2 next to each other I realized that I'd used the same fabric for two pots of herbs - one in Block 1 and one in Block 2 - that would be next to each other!! I can tell you by now I was REALLY niggly!! Well I decided that I would always notice it (even though my friends said it looked ok!!) and unpicked THAT mini block too. Phew!! Anyway, the stitchery is nearly complete, and then I can make a start on block 3. After I've made some applique pieces of course!!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.