Well I really couldn't resist opening the packet of Block 3 of "Down in the Garden", designed by Leanne Beasley. I'd bought this BOM a few years ago and finally made a start on it a few weeks ago. I've already completed the stitchery on Block 1 and Block 2 but haven't yet done the applique (hearts and mini-dresden plates and butterflies). After sorting out the fabrics, I traced the stitchery blocks with a Pigma pen size 01 (this is a permanent pen so you do need a very steady hand). Then the mini blocks were pieced together with a churn dash block that had already been prepared (4 of these were made at the beginning, with Block 1) and finally a piece of stabiliser was ironed to the back of the block. It's now ready for the stitchery and I'm using DMC threads for this.
Well stitching Block 1 was a dream - the mini blocks pieced together easily, I'm really pleased with the stitchery and I've just got the applique left to do. I decided that as there a few hearts and mini-dresden plates and butterflies to applique onto this quilt, I'd make them up en-masse, and hope to do that very soon. Meanwhile, I was really enjoying the stitchery, so made a start on Block 2 and it all started off so well. I was stitching the 2 small bluebirds, and had problems with satin stitching one of the beaks. I just didn't seem right, and so I very carefully unpicked it. The second time it was even worse! So again, I tried to unpick it very carefully - except that I wasn't careful enough and ended up with a hole in my fabric!! Disaster!! I thought I could make it better, so I poked the frayed threads through to the back of the block, and fused another small piece of interfacing to the back of the stitchery, and redrew a larger beak and started stitching - but the threads frayed even more and it looked worse than ever! Even BIGGER disaster!! Honestly, I was getting a bit niggly. So there was nothing for it - the mini block itself had to be unpicked and I cut a new piece of fabric, traced the design on it and VERY CAREFULLY stitched those beaks. (I bet Leanne Beasley doesn't have these problems!) However, things still weren't going to plan. When I laid Block 1 and Block 2 next to each other I realized that I'd used the same fabric for two pots of herbs - one in Block 1 and one in Block 2 - that would be next to each other!! I can tell you by now I was REALLY niggly!! Well I decided that I would always notice it (even though my friends said it looked ok!!) and unpicked THAT mini block too. Phew!! Anyway, the stitchery is nearly complete, and then I can make a start on block 3. After I've made some applique pieces of course!!
One of my friends has been very generous to me over the past week, and I thought she deserved a little treat. This beautiful Lecien print (part of the "Vintage Floral" collection, bought from Sew and So's of Bungay) looked perfect teamed with some velvet ribbon trimmed lace that I'd bought from Little A Designs. Once again I used the pattern "Anna's Sminkepung" by the Norwegian designer AnnAKa. This was quilted very simply - a cross hatch design on the back of the bag (I didn't even need to mark the quilting lines for this, I just followed the grid design that is part of the pattern on the fabric!) and quilted in simple straight rows on the front part of the bag. I used a variegated king Tut thread shade 979 for the quilting, and a Schmetz top stitch needle size 80. This will be delivered to my friend tomorrow, I just hope she likes it!!
Yes it's Sew Cute Tuesday again - it seems to be quicker and quicker every week!! Anyway, I've added pictures of some cosmetic bags that I hadn't added the previous week, and the matching set of toiletry bag/cosmetic bag that I made for Lizzie the bride. Hop over to the Better Off Thread blog and see what other goodies are being shown off!!
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.