Christmas fun is finally finished! This was machine quilted with Aurifil 40wt thread, and I used my Bernina 230PE and the free motion foot as I haven't been brave enough to try out the BSR on my new Bernina yet - anyway, I am quite pleased with how this looks, and as it's quite a small quilt - 23" x 32" it really didn't take very long to finish. The quilting is really very simple, firstly stitch in the ditch around all the blocks, and free motion quilted around all the applique shapes, followed by a very simple stipple - nothing too fancy - I really must practise more of the skills I learnt on the courses with Philippa Naylor!! I couldn't decide where to put the label on the back, then decided to applique it bang in the middle - I really love stitching my labels to match the quilt...
...and here it is, swaying gently in the breeze. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one hanging on my wall at Christmas time. The pattern and hand painted wooden buttons were bought online from Patchwork Chicks here in the UK - and I used a selection of Lynette's festive fabrics from my stash. Now on to my next project - and that's another festive one too, using some very special fabrics that Lynette sent me a few weeks ago.
I can't believe I'm actually binding this quilt! It seemed like a massive project when I first bought it as a BOM back in 2015 from Patchwork Chicks here in the UK. Bluebird Lane is a gorgeous quilt by the Australian designer Natalie Bird, and was made using gorgeous fabrics from the Autumn Lily collection by Blackbird Designs for Moda, and I just love the stripey binding fabric that was included! For larger quilts, I prefer a wider binding, and these binding strips were cut at 3.5" wide, for a 0.5" finish. The binding strips were cut and pieced together, then machined in place to the front of the quilt, using a neutral coloured Aurifil 40wt thread. The folded edge is then turned to the back, and held in place Clover Wonderclips (these are really easy to use, and the bonus is you don't get stabbed with prickly pins!). This will be my project for the next few evenings as there are several inches of binding to stitch down!
This morning I drove over to East Bergholt to collect Birdbird Lane from Janette at J-Quilts. As always she has done the most amazing job with this custom longarm quilting. It looks superb, and I';m absolutely thrilled with it. This was a BOM that I'd bought back in 2015 from Patchwork Quilts here in the UK. The pattern is by the Australian designer Natalie Bird, (The Birdhouse Patchwork Designs). This has been machine pieced with Aurifil 50wt thread, and hand embroidered with DMC threads. The applique was completed using applique paper, a glue stick and apliquick tools. Now I just need to get the binding on and design a label to be stitched to the back.
Block 3 "The Spindle Tree" and Block 4 "The Bramble Patch" of the Fernhill quilt by Lynette Anderson Designs has been hand embroidered with Weeks Dye Works threads, and will be embellished with the cute heart and toadstool hand painted wooden buttons once the quilt has been completed. This was bought as a kit from Cross Patch in Wales. Julia puts together some gorgeous kits, and this one is really pretty. I found a UK supplier pf the Weeks Dye Works threads, at Peakside Needleworks. Now these first 5 blocks have been hand embroidered, the next step is to make a few log cabin blocks, so I need to get busy with my rotary cutter!
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.