"Valentine Bouquet" - finished size 48" square. This pattern is by Hilary Gooding and was made with the Hearts and Roses collection of fabric by Makower UK - I bought this as a kit back in 2008 from Quilters Haven (sadly this has since closed down). Machine pieced, machine appliqued and machine quilted - all by yours truely! As I made this back in 2008, I'm not sure if the pattern is still available as it was a free download from the Makower UK website.
I found some real treasures when I was rummaging through my tin of vintage buttons yesterday afternoon -some of these were donated to me by my mother-in-law and one of her friends, and some were rescused from charity shops (it's amazing what people give away!). My favourites have now been used to embellish some of the baskets on my version of The Sopwell Ladies Basket Society Quilt, designed by Gail Pan Designs...
...I tried to co-ordinate the colours of the buttons with these gorgeous fabrics that are from the Sequoia collection by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts for Andover fabrics. If you read yesterday's blog post, you'll see that I also managed to embellish my quilt label with a vintage button too!
I've been busy in my sewing studio this morning, making a label for The Sopwell Ladies Basket Society Quilt. I like to incorporate the theme from the quilt top in the label, and used some left over scraps of fabric from the quilt, and a couple of surplus half square triangle units. The words have been hand embroidered using DMC embroidery thread and the ric-rac basket handle has been embellished with a few colonial knots...
...when I was rummaging through my tin of vintage buttons to embellish some of the baskets on the front of the quilt, I found one to embellish the basket on the label too. The label was appliqued in place, and now it's ready for a photo shoot of the completed quilt.
A sleeve stitched onto the back of the quilt ensures the quilt can be displayed from a hanging rod. A piece of left over backing fabric was used for this quilt sleeve, which has been hand stitched in place with a matching thread. I just need to finish the label, and my quilt will be complete!
At last the binding is on The Sopwell Ladies Basket Society quilt. This red fabric with the tiny black stars was included with the kit and it's just perfect for the binding. I prefer using a wider binding on my larger quilts, and these strips were cut at 3.25" then joined with diagonal seams before being folded in half, then machine stitched to the front of the quilt, with mitred corners. The double fold binding was hand stitched in place to the back of the quilt using an Aurifil 40wt red quilting thread.
Whoop Whoop!! My latest project is completed. This is the front of the Scissor Cozy - pattern by Hugs 'n Kisses is completed! I'd bought this online as a kit from the Hugs 'n Kisses website, (it's also available as just a pattern that includes all the applique paper 1" clam shells). As you can see, the front is hand embroidered. Although the pattern suggests using Perle thread, I just used some DMC threads that I had in my thread box...
...a girl can never have too many cases to keep her scissors in! This picture shows the back of the Scissor Cozy - these teeny tiny clam shells took ages to hand stitch into place, but well worth all that effort. A tutorial on You-Tube showed me how to insert the flex frame spring clip, and it took only a matter of seconds to secure into place...
...here's a close-up of the teeny tiny 1" clam shells. These GORGEOUS fabrics are by Tilda. The clam shells were made using pre-cut applique paper templates that came with the pattern. They were then hand appliqued into place using Aurifil 80wt thread. My scissors have now got a very pretty new home!
All those cute little clam shells that I made earlier in the week have been hand stitched into place with Aurifil 80wt thread, and trimmed to shape, I must say I almost held my breath when I was trimming those little darlings! The front of the "Scissor Cozy" by Hugs 'n Kisses has been hand embroidered using DMC stranded embroidery thread (the pattern suggests using Perle thread, but I just used what I had in my thread box). Now it's all ready for the next stage of the construction!
Another picture or two of The Sopwell Ladies Basket Society Quilt designed by Gail Pan Designs - I really enjoyed making this lovely quilt. Expertly freehand custom quilting by J-Quilts Longarm quilting...
...this just needs to have the binding stitched in place, a quilt sleeve attached, and a specially designed label.
The Sopwell Ladies Basket Society Quilt designed by Gail Pan Designs was collected from Janette J-Quilts Longarm quilting this morning. It was well worth the wait to see the amazing quilting - it looks beautiful and I am absolutely thrilled with it. I'll share some more pictures once the binding has been completed.
This pile of pretty scraps is the result of fusing 98 x 1" Hugs 'n Kisses applique paper clam shells to this gorgeous Tilda fabric and then cutting out all 98 of those darling little 1" clam shells.These teeny tiny 1" clam shells are so addictive! Using Hugs 'n Kisses pre-cut applique paper templates make them so much easier. I only need 98 of them for my next project!...
...in case you were wondering what 98 x 1" clam shells look like - this is it! My non-slip black applique mat is really useful for arranging the layout, before I stitch them into rows with a "grab" stitch. These GORGEOUS fabrics are by Tilda, and I used pre-cut 1" fusible applique paper templates from Hugs 'n Kisses (they were included with the pattern for the Scissor Cozy). Now I just need to shut myself in my sewing studio for a few hours and stitch these little darlings together.
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.