The applique is going well on this project (pattern by Leanne Beasley) - I managed to find a reel of silk thread for this, and a packet of Clover Gold Eye applique needle - it certainly does make life much simpler if you have the right equipment for the job! I used a technique involving steam-a-seam which was cut to the exact size of the applique shape and ironed onto the back of the applique fabric. Then I removed the backing paper, folded the edge of the fabric over, and finger pressed it into place - and finally hand stitched it to the handkerchief linen, using VERY small stitches, and making sure the corners of the squares and rectangles were all folded in neatly. I didn't need to iron the shapes into position before stitching them on, as the steam-a-seam held it in place. The edge of the steam-a-seam also gave me a nice neat edge to fold the fabric over too - so I'll definitely be using this method again. Next job is to sort through my button tin, to find some tiny flat buttons to embellish the stitchery squares and rectangles.
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.