Another project that I completed on the "Drama and Detail" course with Philippa Naylor, was a cover for a ring-binder. I used a mixture of batiks and linen for this project, based loosely on the free tutorial by Roslyn Mirrington of "Bloom" and a purchased pattern (the Perfect Quilted Tote) designed by Elizabeth Hartman of "Oh Fransson!" for the pockets on the inside front cover, (a zippered pocket, a slip pocket and even a clear plastic pocket!) and my own pattern for a slip-pocket inside the back cover. I prefer to use Schmetz Microtex needles size 60 when sewing batiks, and this project was no exception.....
.....I was really pleased with how this cover turned out! The applique on the front was a combination of edge-stitch applique for the petals, satin stitched applique circles and free-motion applique for the top layer of the petals. I quilted the batik part of the cover in straight rows of quilting about 0.5" apart, and used a King Tut variegated quilting thread to match the colour of the batiks. I even managed to thread a Schmetz Microtex needle size 60 with the quilting thread - for some reason my automatic threader isn't very good when it comes to size 60 needles - and I could hardly see the eye of the needle when it was in my machine, so my top tip was to thread the needle THEN put it in the machine!
Hi - welcome to my quilting blog! My passions are my family, my dog, my friends and sewing, not necessarily in that order!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.