I had a few scraps of fabric leftover from the "Happy Flappers" quilt that I'd recently made, and put them to good use making another project for Mollie Rose. I used a pattern called "A Family Of Owls" by Claire Turpin Designs, and spent a happy sewing day with steam-a-seam lite making applique templates. (I'd bought this pattern as a PDF download from Claire's etsy shop, and her patterns are also available from Under The Mulberry Tree in Australia). The applique templates are firstly traced onto the lite steam-a-seam 2 in reverse, and roughly cut out. Then the backing layer is peeled away. The fusbible webbing is then ironed onto the back of the fabric and cut aout accurately on the traced line. I prefer to use "perfect scissors" for this, by Karen kay Buckley (I love them so much I've got 3 pairs of them in different sizes!). The top layer of paper can then be peeled away....
...the applique shapes were then all fused into place onto the background fabric, then I layered this onto some muslin with cotton wadding inbetween the 2 layers. Finally it was time to machine applique the shapes into position, and as I had already layered this up, it was quilted at the same time, using matching coloured Mettler quilting threads. The eyes were embellished with black buttons, that were securely sewn on by hand. Once all the applique was in place, I quilted around each owl using white Aurifil thread 40wt thread...
...I used a piece of the backing fabric for the top half of the cushion backing, and inserted a zipper. Then the cushion back and front were machined together 1/8" from the raw edges. I made a scrappy binding using a mixture of 2 fabrics - I especially like stripey bindings. This was machined into place, using the single-fold method...
...I made sure that I added one of my labels and inside is a plump feather pad. Here is the finished cushion, ready for the birthday girl!
Blogs I follow
These are the UK shops that I use to purchase my quilting supplies - fabrics and threads etc.